Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Reading Homework

The current fashion in teaching is to assign reading homework. I would be the last person in the world to minimize the importance of the three Rs. But I do think reading homework is wrong. Reading should be fun. You want students reading not playing videos. (When was the last time you saw adults reading? Playing on their phones?)

So how do you put the fun into something as important as reading? You find students something fun to read. My youngest daughter loves reading the Warrior books by Erin Hunter. My son at that age was reading Harry Potter. I went for the Hardy Boys. My oldest daughter enjoys True Adventure. My middle daughter is busy reading Magic Tree House stories with her boys.

There is a tremendous variety of reading materiel available. We as parents and teachers have to find the words that our children enjoy reading. When I'm having trouble finding a book to read I always fall back to detective novels. They are fun for me.

George W. Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment